Monday, January 5, 2009

Lazy Long Weekend

I had a long weekend this weekend due to New Year’s. I read a lot. Which is good because I joined the 52 Books in 52 Weeks group on Ravelry.

I read Chasing Fireflies by Charles Martin. This is a wonderful book. I especially liked this book because it was set in Brunswick, GA and mentions St. Simons Island, Jekyll Island and even Jesup, GA. I find this interesting because my daughter was born in Jesup, GA. I liked this book because the story is wonderful, the detail is awesome and the characters were lovable.

I also read When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin. I liked this but not as much as Chasing Fireflies.

I finished The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd as well. This was enjoyable and I love the thought of living with "colorlessness".

I just started Home to Big Stony Gap by Adriana Trigiana this morning.

Princess Ivi read quite a bit too. I love that she likes to read. She started Twilight last night.

The rest of the weekend was spent resting as I have a severe sore throat, and watching movies from the DVD shelf. I did a little knitting on the Spiral Tube Socks but not much as I was so achy that it hurt to lift my arms.

I made banana bread with the pile of over-ripe bananas which were sitting on the counter. It was good (although I don’t care for Banana Bread). Princess Ivi and Mom both enjoyed it. The recipe was from Mom’s old Joy of Cooking cookbook. I love the simplicity of the recipes in the book. Although there are some that have strange ingredients like cow’s tongue.

I did make a yummy quiche. It was a ham, potato, broccoli and cheese quiche. Mom made the crust for me since I can’t make pie crust to save my life. Instead of shortening, she used bacon grease so the crust tasted like bacon. It was very good and I will definitely make it again.

Here is the recipe if interested:

Ham, Potato, Broccoli and Cheese Quiche

3 to 4 medium potatoes, cut and partially cooked,
1 to 1 ½ cups frozen broccoli, cooked
3 cups cheddar cheese
2/3 cup heavy cream (or milk)
4 large eggs
3/4 cup cooked ham (or bacon)
Basil
Parsley
Salt
Pepper
1 uncooked pie crust

Whisk together eggs and cream. Add potatoes, broccoli, cheese, ham and spices. Stir well. Pour into pie crust and make sure level. Cook at 350 for 1 hour or until done.

1 comment:

Ryu said...

"Chasing Fireflies" sounds very interesting! I want to read it later!!