Friday, December 18, 2009

Strange but Funny and True

I drive by a baptist church everyday on my way to and from work. For the last few weeks, I have notices all sorts of construction type projects going on. I figured it was going to be some sort of live nativity as those are popular here since it is Florida, the weather usually cooperates. The living "nativity" began on Monday. However, this is unlike any living nativity I have seen or any nativity at all. Let me explain.

The "nativity" takes up about 3 football fields and it takes place about 10 feet from the road.

The first little scene is the manger complete with a burro, a baby and Mary and Joseph. Every time I have driven by there has always been one man kneeling on the ground with his arms raised in the air. I guess he could be a shepherd. There is no sign of the kings or an angel.

The second scene is about 100 feet away. The scene shows Jesus being crucified on the cross. The scene is complete with Roman soldiers, Mary kneeling at the cross, and the bloody crown of thorns.

About 50 feet away from this scene is a tomb where a deceased Jesus is brought after being taken from the cross.

The fourth scene is a King on his dais while white robed people (including children) bowing and kneeling as if in prayer. I guess this could be King Herod or Pontius Pilate. Still not sure?

I have driven by it 4 times now and each time I ask myself "what is this?". It looks like a weird version of "Jesus, this is your life".

I get the manger and if I knew for certain the king was King Herod, I would get that part too. But what's with the crucifixion and the tomb? Maybe they confused their holidays (Easter and Christmas) or maybe they wanted to show us the whole story.

**EDITED ON 12/21/09: I figured out that the last scene isn't a king. It is Jesus after his ascension. So the whole enactment is the live of Jesus from his birth to his ascension.**

Either way, the whole thing is rather distracting and I fear it is an accident waiting to happen since all the drivers are rubber-necking and like me, are trying to figure out what the whole point is.

Another funny thing
Last night while watching the Jaguars vs. Colts game, the announcer said at least three times that the Colts were down by 4. However, the score was 28 to 31 which means they were actually down by 3. Apparently, the announcer skipped the math class where they did basic subtraction.

No comments: