Thursday, February 14, 2013

On Valentine's Day and Being Alive


We interrupt our normally scheduled post to bring you a special announcement:

Since leaving elementary school, I haven’t been a big fan of Valentine’s Day.  When you are a kid, there is just something so fun about decorating a shoebox with pink, red and white construction paper hearts and then reading the cheesy, commercial Valentine’s your school mates leave for you.  


However, the charm of Valentine’s Day quickly wears off once you start middle school, then high school and adulthood, especially as a single parent.   My attitude from around the time of my second marriage to a few years ago was “Valentine’s Day…bah humbug!!!”


However, my attitude changed drastically in 2007.  Not because I fell in love or met the most romantic man in the world, not because of flowers or cupid, or anything like that.  My attitude changed because…well, I lived. 

For some back story, please see my post Why I Love Valentine’s Day here.   A short version of the story is that I was in a horrible car accident involving a blizzard, a snow plow and my little Honda Accord.  I was initially listed as a fatality because they were expecting me to die.  I didn’t.  

After that horrible day, I vowed to live life to the fullest at all times and never take any of it for granted.  Have I always done this?  Well, no because I am human.  Am I constantly working toward this goal?  Absolutely.   

My reminder to you.....Love your family right now so they will always know how much they mean to you.  And, live your life NOW.  Don’t wait for someday to come because we can lose all of our “somedays” in the blink of an eye.

No comments: